Sunday, January 20, 2013

Obstacles will happen

 "An excuse becomes an obstacle in your journey to success when it is made in place of your best effort or when it is used as the object of the blame."
Bo Bennett

Asthma blip: Two weeks ago, I was fighting off a cold and I thought I might win...but, then that Friday morning, I woke with a sore throat and things started going downhill. By last Saturday, it was decided that I had to go back on prednisone (an oral corticosteroid). It had been 101 days without prednisone, but I'm still trying to beat my longest stretch of 143 days without. Anyways, after five days on prednisone, I still wasn't feeling better and my symptoms were feeling flu-like (although I had been vaccinated). I was still training and if you remember well, my 18K last Sunday was in the rain. But finally, I decided my body needed a rest and I didn't do anything Wednesday and Thursday. Friday, I started to feel better, I went to yoga, and then continued to rest. Saturday, was a relaxed 5K on the TM. I'll probably be on prednisone for another week, but I am definitely feeling better. Moving on :)

It's good timing that this week was a recovery week...but, I now know that even if I have to miss some of the runs on my program, it doesn't matter! I'm glad that it was such a minor obstacle and starting today, I'm back on track.

Today starts week 10 of my program and I had 22K to run...which, I did. The weather was unbelievably all over the place. Crazy wind all the time, but the temperature was relatively mild and the sun was shining when I left (I even wore my sunglasses). By about the 3rd km, the sky gets really grey and it starts to hail in my face (I kept my sunglasses on for protection), then it switched to huge wet snowflakes (had to take the sunglasses off then) and it lasted for a few kilometers. Followed by normal snow, sun, more stormy and intense snow, all to end with sunshine and the wind at my back. Seriously!! When I got home, my husband was worried, "I called you twice, I wanted to go get you! It was awful there for a while." My thoughts while I was running against the wind and snow during the stormy parts went something like this, "If it becomes unbearable, I will go onto someone's porch and call home." "But, I'm actually okay, and so I guess I haven't reached the quitting point yet." In the end, I was able to do the whole thing and I was done in 2 hours 32 minutes (a minute faster than my 20K two weeks ago). 

I wanted to mention something that touched me this week. Some of you may have seen the video of the 85 year old woman who ran like 80 marathons since she quit smoking at age 64. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7Kk0vgMzYg

At one point she says something that really strikes a cord with me...she's talking about doing what needs to be done to stay on her own. Something like, "If I have to exercise, I'll exercise. If I have to watch what I eat, I'll watch what I eat. Whatever it takes!" Those three words...they are my mantra in life. I realized that whenever I have a goal that is important to me, I get into this "Whatever it takes" mindset and it really keeps me motivated. If it doesn't have the desired outcome, well it doesn't, but I aim to do whatever it takes. I will soon be 54 years old, and let me tell you that, so far,  those three little words have served me well! 

Cheers!
Do you have a life mantra?

11 comments:

Char said...

I really like how you managed your run. You gave yourself an out (which is what I often do when I'm not feeling the greatest) and then kept reassessing and never had to take it. That's hard core!

Caroline said...

wow Anne un demi marathon ca! dans des conditions difficiles! bravo! glad you are feeling better! ici la temperature est completement folle... -2C et la +24! resultat: allergies...congestion..:(
bonne semaine!

Kate Geisen said...

I don't know that I have a mantra, but I do try to stay open and cultivate/maintain an attitude of adventure. There's an adventurer, Dave Cornthwaite, and his motto is "say yes more". I like that, or there's a line from a movie that goes " be your own hero". I like that, too.

Great job on your run! Those conditions sound pretty nasty! I do the "out" thing too...somehow knowing you CAN quit makes it easier not to. :)

Johann said...

You are hardcore for sure! Fantastic job with your training! I like the mantra. I have a few mantras and often use "just keep moving" while going through rough patches when running.

Robin said...

Sorry about the blip but glad things back on track! You're training is going so well overall...yeah!

ajh said...

There is a woman here in her 70s as is her husband. They started running after quitting smoking also and she still runs marathons. He does halves. They are definitely an inspiration. I need a mantra. Good for you for sticking with that long run in all the weather.

Two Wordy said...

Wow! Great job on the half marathon workout in the crazy weather!

I love that mantra, "Whatever it takes!" I'll remember that. My high school coach used to tell us to envision our muscles as smooth oil, so another one is "strong and smooth."

Your posts really help me because we face some of the same obstacles. You find a way to effectively deal with, or overcome obstacles, and that is what I try to do too. You're doing great! :)

Jill said...

I'm living that mantra these days as I train for a half IM. The biking is so out of my scope and comfort level. I finally hired a coach because I didn't know what the hell I was doing on that thing and he throws out all this bike stuff and I'm just like, "whatever it takes" ... I don't even ask questions anymore - I'm so in over my head so I just listen and do what I'm told :).

Glad you're feeling better. My son has asthma and I know how difficult it is. I have some exercise-induced asthma and was coughing up a storm today on some hills. Bleh. So glad your long run turned out well and bonus, you're getting faster :).

Keep strong, girl!

kat said...

I can, I will, I am. Love that mantra though, will have to add it to mine, hope you feel better soon.

Teamarcia said...

Way to push thru a tough run my friend! I love your mantra--a great attitude lime that will take you far! : )

Unknown said...

I must be really out of it...I had no idea you were blogging again!!! Missed yoU!