Monday, August 22, 2011

30K (or 18.6 miles) - Check!


“There is only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self.”
Aldous Huxley 

As I got up to get ready for my longest run to date Sunday morning, I saw lightning and heard the rumble of thunder. To be honest my thought was, "Oh well, I guess I'll go back to bed and if it stops I'll go later." Yes, a little lazy at that time, but I did want to get out there. I lay back down and after about 20 minutes, I realized that although it was raining, I hadn't heard anymore thunder. So up I got, took my time getting ready as I hoped the rain would die down. When I finally stepped out the door at 8:30, it was raining very lightly and the temperature actually felt really nice. 

My plan was to run for 15K then stop at home, just in case...and maybe Uber H could join me for the second 15K. I actually felt really great...I took "your" advice and rolled my foot on a frozen water bottle, it really did the job and I rubbed on a thick layer of body glide to avoid bra chafing. 

It rained easy and hard on and off throughout my run, so when I stopped at home after 16K I changed socks, shirt, and cap, added a light nylon jacket...refilled my water bottles and was off again very quickly. Uber H was waiting for me and he had everything ready...he then joined me on the second half of my run. 

Last week, I mentioned that I needed to get a new pair of slightly bigger running shoes. Unfortunately, they didn't have my Mizuno wave ronin 3 in the size I wanted...I was a little worried about having a different shoe for my long runs, but the salesboy (he looked about 15)  gave me the Asics Tarther to try on and said that it was the closest to my Mizuno's. 
My new Asics - size 9

Asics and Mizunos - very similar racers

He was right...I'm very pleased with my new shoes, there was no bumping against my toes over the whole 30K. Although I once again got some blisters between my big toe and the one next to it. I must use more body glide there and perhaps even some second skin for a while. I wore my injinji's during the second half and it helped.

When I reached about 27K, I started feeling tightness and pain in my right knee...I was using a 5/1 ratio, so it wasn't too bad. However, the last K I did non stop and I went faster and the pain went away. As my PT once mentioned, it's when I slow down too much that my knee bends inside and the pain starts...I guess it's true. 

No lingering pain today, just some normal tightness...I'm super happy and starting to believe that I will actually do this marathon after all!!!!

30K DONE!!

Cheers!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

30K - Done and done! And in the elements. Good for you and your perseverance!

RunningFromCancer said...

Holy cow! Look at you running these long distances and just a few months back you had doubts!
Enjoy yourself and all of your accomplishments - every week is a new "record" distance. You should be very proud!
It is so wonderful that hubby joins you! That certainly makes the distance go faster!
Keep up the hard work and "smart" training.

Robin said...

You definitely can do that marathon! Woo hoo awesome run. WTG.

Caroline said...

Good job Anne!!!
tu vas etre prete pour le marathon!!! ces longues sorties doivent te donner confiance right?!

Marlene said...

Congratulations on the 30K! Too bad you couldn't have come to Toronto for our Midsummer Night's Run. :) maybe next year.

Marlene said...

Congratulations on the 30K! Too bad you couldn't have come to Toronto for our Midsummer Night's Run. :) maybe next year.

Carla said...

That's awesome! I loved reading this post. I am at a very similar point and know just how you feel in terms of maybe we can do this marathon thing after all. Woo hoo!

Une femme en santé said...

Bravo, tu es bien bonne de ne pas avoir succomber à paresser dans ton lit :-)

Jill said...

High Fives to you, girl!! Well done, so proud of you... this is just the first of many, many long runs. Woohoo!

ajh said...

You do look wet. Good job sticking to it. Sounds like a very successful run. LOVE the new header.

Anabela (Bela) Neves said...

That is awesome, congrats on the 30k :)

Kate Geisen said...

AWESOME, Anne! You're kicking butt on this round of training! :)

Kate Geisen said...

P.S. You look WAY better after your 18+ miles than I did after mine. I could barely get into my car.

Claire said...

Woohooo!!!!! Oui, oui, c'est certain que tu peux commencer à y croire, au marathon!!!! Tu vas le faire!!!!! Yéééééé!!!!! Félicitations pour ce beau 30 km, c'est une impression de puissance hein???

Average Woman Runner said...

Congratulations Anne! WAY TO GO, conquering a new distance. So glad you are feeling well :)

Char said...

30k in new shoes without a blister - that's just awesome.

Pat said...

Congratulations on your long distance! You're definitly on your way to realizing you marathon goal.

Gaspegirl said...

Way to go! You are such an inspiration to wanna-be runners like me!

Make it a great day!

Giorgio said...

Congrats for your long run! Glad to hear that you ran 30k in new shoes without a blister :) I like Asics running shoes too!
Nice photo of you with the black outfit :)

Johann said...

I'm super happy for you! This is fantastic! You've done so well and if you can get through 30km like this it certainly looks good. Keep it going!

Beth said...

Wow, 30K! You ARE going to do that marathon. Great work and I'm so glad that the new shoes worked out for you. Yippee!

Unknown said...

Just found your blog. :) Great first post for a new reader to read. :)

I often put off running in the rain, but usually love the feeling of actually doing it.

You look great!

Irene said...

Congrats on the 30K!!!

Nice new shoes! I hope they treat you as well as the Mizunos did.

I'm glad to read that you're doing so well!